***All posts run the risk of containing information that may or may not spoil your reading of these works.***

Friday, January 6, 2012

Devil in the White City

 Liked it.

This book came highly recommended by my mother. And I've got to say, in all of the places I carried it around with me, I don't think I went anywhere without at least one person stopping me to say they'd read it and loved it.

I started this book at a time when I could seem to get through more than a paragraph or two without having to set it down to run off to one thing or another. So initially it was quite difficult for me to get into the story and follow the characters.

Eventually, I did get sucked into the mystery and magic of this tale. I think this is incredibly well written, although a little long for my taste.

Makes you shutter a bit to think about everything that went into the lives of both Daniel H. Burnham and Herman Mudgett!

Recommend: Yes
Read Again: No

* * *

Author: Erik Larson
Awards: Edgar Award (2004)

Summary: Erik Larson depicts two faces of the Chicago World's Fair of 1893: one glimmering, white and full of American pride, and the other evil, charismatic, and the fear of all mothers.

The story magically and murderously builds the two tales of Daniel H. Burnham, who coordinated the construction of the World's Fair, and Herman Mudgett, a serial killer amid the fair's many eager visiters.

 Pages: 447

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts & Recommended Reads