***All posts run the risk of containing information that may or may not spoil your reading of these works.***

Tuesday, December 21, 2010

The Road

Loved it.

Opinion:

As I already said, I loved this book. The images and lessons I devoured from the pages of The Road stayed with me for a very long time, and continue to influence my thought. This is a wonderfully vivid novel where the characters are reduced to nothing, and then forced to answer: "Are you one of the good guys?"

I work in the public school system, and, on a day I was heavily into this book, I happened to walk passed a boy who has some very wrong opinions about the world. My stomach churned, and I felt more than livid to hear his mouthy 14-year-old self shout the filthy words, "All Jews belong in ovens." And even more disgraceful, I know an adult had to of given him such an idea.

I couldn't help but reflect on my position in the world, and question whether or not I am a "good guy." If pushed to a state of desperation, who would I become? Would I have turned in my neighbors during WWII? Would I share my limited food? Would I kill another to help my own family? Is "good" during time of peace the same as "good" during time of catastrophe, or do we play by a different set of values and morels?

Still chewing on this one.

And yes, definitely cried at the end. Even thought I knew what was going to happen, I still cried.

Recommend: YES
Read Again: Maybe, one day

* * *

Author: Cormac McCarthy
Award: Pulitzer Prize

Summary:

The Road is a very emotional account of a young boy and his father struggling to survive in a postapocalyptic world. The walk together, often hand-in-hand or hand on gun and hand on shopping cart, down a road that leads to, well, hopefully somewhere good.

The father is sick, and the boy is sensitive. They struggle for food, and they are low on hope. They meet people along the way who try to take their lives or their food or both. And some people stoop low enough to eat other people.

All the while, the boy is trying to be a good guy. And the father is trying to remember that the reason they fight for life is love. 


Also a movie. Never seen it, so no comment for now.

Pages: 287

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts & Recommended Reads